J Visa Application Translation Requirements for Russian Nationals

According to the U.S. Department of State, visa applicants, including Russian citizens, must submit documentation in English. If the original documents are in Russian or any other language, they are required to be paired with certified English translations. 



United States

Documents Required for Russia

As per guidelines from the U.S. Department of State, the primary requirements for J visa applications include:

  • Birth certificate.

  • Documents that detail marital status, if applicable: such as marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and death certificate of a spouse.

  • DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

  • Proof of financial solvency demonstrating the applicant's financial capability to support their stay in the U.S.

  • Detailed correspondence from the U.S. sponsor, specifying the nature, purpose, and duration of the exchange program.


Other pertinent documentation that the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Russia may be requested based on individual applications.


Translator Qualifications

Based on information from the U.S. Department of State, translators responsible for providing certified English translations don't need a specific accreditation. However, they should be proficient in both languages and should attest to their ability to translate competently from Russian to English. This should be accompanied by a signed statement from the translator declaring their proficiency in both languages and asserting the accuracy of their translation.

Certification Requirements

According to guidelines from the U.S. Department of State, every translated document must include a signed statement from the translator that affirms their competence in both Russian and English and guarantees the translation's fidelity. Given that Russia is not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention, Russian nationals may encounter different certification requirements. 


For precise and current information tailored to their circumstances, Russian nationals should consult directly with the U.S. Embassy in Russia.


This is Powered by OpenAI's ChatGPT 4.0.

We may display inaccurate or offensive content that doesn't represent Tomedes' views.

Ready to Work?

This guide provides a general overview, and for specific, accurate, and detailed advice, consulting directly with the relevant institutions or migration experts is essential. For more detailed information, contact the US Embassy in Russia.