E Visa Application Translation Requirements for Japanese Nationals

As per the guidelines from the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), all documents that are not in English and are submitted to support the visa application must be accompanied by an English translation.



United States

Documents Required for Japan

According to the U.S. Department of State, here are the primary documents required for E-Visa applications:

  • Birth certificate of the applicant.

  • If applicable, marriage, divorce, or death certificate(s) related to any current or previous relationships.

  • Proof of Japanese nationality.

  • Documents that prove substantial trade between the US and Japan or that the applicant is making a significant investment in a US business, such as trade invoices, customer/vendor lists, financial statements, or bank records.

  • A letter or statement explaining the purpose of the trip and the length of the intended stay in the US.


There may be additional documents required specifically for Japanese nationals by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Japan.


Translator Qualifications

Based on the U.S. Department of State's guidelines, while there isn't a specific certification mandated for translators, individuals translating the document must be competent to translate from Japanese to English. They need to provide a signed statement affirming that the translation is accurate and complete, and that they are qualified to translate from Japanese to English.

Certification Requirements

According to the U.S. Department of State, translated documents should be accompanied by a statement from the translator or translation company asserting their competence in both the original language (Japanese) and English, as well as the fidelity of their translation. The U.S., unlike some other countries, doesn't usually demand notarization of translations. As for the authentication of Japanese documents, Japan is a member of the Hague Apostille Convention; therefore, an apostille might be necessary to authenticate Japanese documents for use in the U.S.


Do note that this guide is a general overview. For personalized and comprehensive advice related to specific circumstances, it's always recommended to consult directly with the U.S. Embassy in Japan or immigration professionals.

This is Powered by OpenAI's ChatGPT 4.0.

We may display inaccurate or offensive content that doesn't represent Tomedes' views.

Ready to Migrate?

This guide provides a general overview, and for specific, accurate, and detailed advice, consulting directly with the relevant institutions or migration experts is essential. For more detailed information, contact the US Embassy in Japan.